Monday, November 12, 2012

Fads and Classics


Today I was thinking a lot about the trends of the world, and then I naturally thought about wanting more than just to follow the fads. And, then I naturally started thinking about more than just clothes and the newest technology.


See, my memory tends to be more like fads. I got into going to the gym, I got into a TV series, and wanting a specific type of boots. But, then there are other things that I actively try to keep in my life – like dinner groups. Best things ever. On a more serious note is my relationship with my Savior.

I’ve been reading a lot in the Book of Mormon, and the people have this vicious cycle of a few years before they’ve forgotten the Lord again. And, I’m really nervous that I’ll fall into that same trap. Now, I know I won’t be perfect, but I really, really want my relationship with Christ to be more than a shooting star, more than a passing moment, a firework, or anything else. I want it to be a classic, timeless, a part of me.

My brother is on his mission, and it is so amazing to hear about his journey, but even more to see how much he is growing. I love seeing him fired up about the gospel and actively trying to share it. Our goals force us to be deliberate. It’s how progress is made, it is how success happens. Work. Fads are great, but to create lasting triumphs, we need to put in the work.

Part of that comes by being loyal, in tough times, and hard times. In order to truly be loyal, you have to remember those you're loyal towards. And, loyalty isn't something that can be taught, it must be earned, fought for, and acted upon.

I tend to describe myself as a loyal person. So, I’ve wanted to make sure I am at least as loyal to my testimony  and my God as I am to my football team (haha). I recently went to a football game where I sat in the snow the whole time. I stayed out of principle. 
This was my seat before the game... COLD!
I want to stay in my testimony on more than just principle, I want to be a classic follower of Christ, not one who merely follows the crowd. I want to be one who deliberately acts and chooses to follow, when I mess up, and when I am valiant. I want to be more than a fair-weather fan, I want to be true to my God.

We treasure classics, things that always work, that are always in style. They have meaning, purpose and respect.

I can be a classic follower, a person whose character is truly a disciple of Christ. And, it will only happen as I choose daily to follow and serve my Lord, and it starts by remembering Him.

1 comment:

  1. Thanks for not including a family photo. I appreciate it.

    Also--consistency shows loyalty. As we consistently follow the commandments, we learn to trust in God--but he also learns that he can trust us with his errands. He will always be more loyal to us than we are to him. He is soo good to us.

    ReplyDelete