Saturday, April 14, 2012

Steve's Doughnuts

I don't remember exactly how I found this story, I don't know who wrote it, or anything except what I have posted here. Even still, I would ask you to consider it. It is similar to this post, I feel it helps in a small way to understand another aspect of the Atonement. It may seem a little cheesy, but sometimes it is the cheesy stories that are the easiest to understand.

Steve opens the door into Brother Christensen's seminary class. He was always the last one to enter, and the first one to leave. One day, Brother Christensen asked Steve to stay after class.

"You think you're pretty tough, don't you Steve?" Brother Christensen asked. 
"Yes" replied Steve. 
"About how many push-ups can you do?"
"I do 200 push-ups every night."
"200, that is pretty good. Do you think you could do 300?" 
"I don't know, I've never done 300 at one time."
"Do you think you could?"
"Well, I can try."
"Can you do 300, in sets of 10?  I need you to do 300 in sets of ten for this to work. Can you do it? I need you to tell me you can do it."
"Well, I think I can...ya...I can do it."
"Good. I need you to do this on Friday."

Friday came, and Steve was standing at the front of the room before class. On the table was a box of the biggest, expensive, delicious donuts. 


Brother Christensen turned to the first person on the first row, "Cynthia, do you want a doughnut?" "Yes" "Steve, would you do ten push ups so that Cynthia can have a  doughnut ?" "Sure!" Steve quickly did the ten push ups and Cynthia got the  doughnut . Brother Christensen headed down each row, repeating this process. He soon came to Scott, who asked to do his own push ups. Brother Christensen replied that Steve had to do the push ups. "Then I don't want one." Brother Christensen turned to Steve and asked "Steve will do you do 10 push ups so that Scott can have a  doughnut he doesn't want?" Steve started doing the push ups, Scott got really mad, and soon he had a  doughnut on his desk. Brother Christensen replied, "This is my class, just leave it on your desk if you don't want it." 

Steve started to slow down, a little perspiration, the class started getting angrier by the third row. Most people were refusing the  doughnut now. They turned away and wouldn't watch Steve do the push ups, yet each got a  doughnut .

During class, additional students walked in. They sat on the side of the room, and some of the students realized this, and making quick count, 34 students, the students started to worry. He went on, near the end of the third row, Steve had a hard time, he asked Brother Christensen, "Does my nose have to touch the ground each time?" "They are your push ups, do them how you would like." 

A few minutes later, Jason was about to come in. The class yelled and begged him not to come in. Steve replied, "No, let him come." Brother Christensen turned to him, "Do you realize what this means?" Steve replied, "Yes, let him come."

Ten very slow push ups later, a bewildered Jason was handed a doughnut . Brother Christensen finished the fourth row and started on those seated around the room. Steve's arms were now shaking with each push up in the struggle to lift himself against gravity. There was not a dry eye in the room. 

The last two girls were both cheerleaders, Linda, the second to last, was asked if she wanted a doughnut . "No, thank you" she replied. Brother Christensen turned to Steve, "Would you do ten push ups so Linda can have the doughnut  she doesn't want?" Ten push ups were done. Finally, he turned to Susan. "Susan, would you like a doughnut?" With tears flowing, Susan asked "Can I help him?" "No. He has to do this alone." "Then, I do not want one." "Steve, would you do ten push ups so Susan can have the  doughnut she doesn't want?" 

Slowly, he finished. He had accomplished all that was required, having done 350 push ups, his arms buckled, he fell to the floor.

"And so it was, that our Savior plead to the Father, 'Into Thy hands I commend my spirit.' After all that was required, He collapsed and died. And, like some of those in this room, many of us leave the gift on the desk, uneaten."  

Steve smiled on the ground where he lay in is own sweat and began to cry.

Remember the Savior, remember to apply His gift into your life, your heart, and your actions. I know it is not a perfect metaphor, but choose to learn from it anyway, turn to your Savior today.

No comments:

Post a Comment