Wednesday, September 11, 2013

Take Offense

I have former friends who take offense at everything. I was thinking about them, and my whole approach to making friends, when I came across this idea that wouldn't leave me alone. And, as I never know what I think until I read what I've written, I'm writing my thoughts down now. Also, none of this is really "new" but I did feel like I understood it a little better today.

  • One person may give a lot of offense in their life - but the other person will have to take it for it to do anything.
  • It is exhausting to try to make others happy all the time, and you never really know if they 'like you' anyway. It's never ending. Or, is it? 
  • The Savior did not waste time trying to make friends with everyone, be "politically correct" or loved by all men. He just was honest - but not mean. He didn't hide behind only telling selective truths, yet He was able to be motivated by true, unselfish love - which enabled Him to see beyond His present context, and remember what really is important.
  • Christ lived in such a way that people either had to fully, really-truly, accept or reject Him. He did not alter His message in an attempt to please the people - so neither should I. 
I find I often change without realizing it based on who I'm with or whatever. And while it is freeing to not have to feel like I have to watch all my words, it is rewarding when I can find ways to help make their day better. 

Life is a balance - honesty and love just make up a small part of it. I hope I can learn to stop taking offense, and learn to make real friends - while still being kind and caring to those who don't want to be. Through this process, I can learn more about and become more like Christ. Like I said at the beginning, this isn't really new, but it is something that I learned a little more about today.

No comments:

Post a Comment