Friday, February 10, 2012

Let the Lord Surprise You

Of about 4 major surprises in my life, I knew of 3 long before they came. I was a curious child the first time and the second and third times, my friends gave it away on purpose. Each time, as the surprise finally rolled around, I was really happy... but a little disappointed. The element of surprise was gone and with it, part of the joy. Now, don't get me wrong. I thoroughly enjoyed the gifts, but the fun of the surprise was taken away, leaving me a little sad that I had found out beforehand.

See, this comes from a love of planning things, knowing where all the pieces fit, and the overall feeling of control and peace that comes from knowing. But, let's face it, 1. I cannot control everything and 2. Even if I could, I do not know enough or am perfect enough to perfectly plan the greatest happiness for myself or anyone else.

Last week in institute, which was the inspiration for this post, we talked about Moses and the plagues. My instructor brought up that the number of plagues before the eventual destruction of the first born children of the Egyptians, is an expression of God's love. Obstacles in our life can be overcome, we can learn and because of the Atonement, we can truly repent and become better. Then, and only then, will we find that the pieces leading to true joy, truly fit into our lives.

We have so much to look forward to. The obstacles and hardships will only bring us closer to Him, if we will  remember to let the Lord surprise us. He has the control, He knows the plan, He knows you.

Therefore, "Brethren [and sisters], shall we not go on in so great a cause? Go forward and not backward. Courage brethren [and sisters]; and on, on to the victory. Let your hearts rejoice, and be exceedingly glad." (Doctrine and Covenants 128:22) It will take courage and many encouraging reminders, but we can rejoice in His plan, we can keep moving forward.

We know the ending, we have faith in His eternal plan, and yet, sometimes the "How" and/or "When" is a little more vague. It is at these times that we need to remember to let the Lord surprise us, just like we need to remember to have faith and to keep moving forward. Like the hymn, "Press Forward, Saints" and the corresponding scriptures in 2 Nephi 31:20 and Helaman 3:28-30, we can remember to have hope in Christ. We can remember that even if we do not know how, or when, or even when we lose sight of the eternal perspective, that we can keep going. We can remember to trust in the Lord at all times, in all things, and in all places. Even in our darkest moments, the ones where everything and nothing is wrong, where we feel so weak and helpless, that He will surprise us, He will show us His plan and it will be for the best.

I realize I've written about this topic a lot lately, it is one that I am trying hard to remember. We all struggle, we all fall down, we all come up short, the mistakes we make are often larger and more frequent than we would wish, but we are on the Lord's side. We know He has a plan, we know He has a way prepared, and we know we can keep going, as long as we remember Him.

I just discovered this verse at institute. It is so great and powerful. Remember that the Lord is fighting for you, and you will have peace as you turn to Him. Remember to let the Lord surprise you as you keep your faith in Him.


No comments:

Post a Comment