Wednesday, February 29, 2012

Change


This chapter in my life has almost completely closed. The future is more intimidating than ever, and, sometimes it is almost too much to bear. Personally, I would like a little more control than I have, but I am still learning that it is wonderful as it is.


Among other things I have had to say goodbye to my car. Yes, I am a sentimental fool sometimes, but this car saved me on multiple occasions when I felt all was lost, from the miracle of his coming into my life, and through all the college adventures we had together as I worked my way through school. And Teddy, my car, left because he was old and beyond repair {he is parked in this picture, the tow truck was on its way}, reminding me of all the things that are changing in my life.

There is no truly "easy" path. Staples may have an "Easy Button" but unfortunately that doesn't seem to have much of an effect outside the commercials 

 I don't have any new wisdom to impart with you, in this or any post, but I would have you {and I} remember that change is a part of life, and not to give up or fear when it changes, even, like for me, in a way that you may have intellectually been expecting, but find that you are emotionally unprepared for. 

We have to remember who it is that has the plan for us. Thank goodness it is not me; my plans have a beautiful way of falling flat or self-destructing. 

We have a Heavenly Father who loves us, who not only is eternal and all powerful, but He is all knowing and all Loving. This creates a perfect balance for one who infinitely knows, has power, and motivation to care for each one of us.

My direction in life until this point has been to get my degree, which I now have. Before this, my plan for life after graduation has always been hazy, always changing, never sure where I was to go.

More things in life change, where you work, where you live, what your favorite foods are--i.e., my recent discovery that I like Asian food--and friends change. That is often the hardest for me, because sometimes I truly doubt why anyone would want to be my friend- no this does not last very long- so when friends change, go on to bigger and  better things it can be very hard for me. Yet, my friends change and it is ok.

Life happens.

I was at a job interview the other day, and was talking with the person I would be working close with if I got the job, and he asked me about how much I was expecting to make. This, though a typical question, puzzled me.  I didn't know the "right answer" he was looking for and I honestly didn't know what I wanted to make. I explained how I have lately been in a state where survival has been the main objective. There has just been so much change and uncertainty that I just didn't know anymore. I quickly thought about it, and so I told him a rough estimate. The interview kindly looked at me and explained that he would want me to do more than survive; and I am working on it and am getting there. 

Remember: Don't give up, just like Dory and Marlin, remember to "just keep swimming." Things have a funny way of working out. And don't forget,

Leviticus 26:12 “And I will walk among you, and I will be your God, and ye shall be my people.”

Change happens. Somehow through it all, we still can remember that He is our God, and that He loves us. He is there for us. Turn to Him. Come unto Christ. Remember that He is your foundation as you go throughout all the twists and turns, the storms, whirlwinds, confusion, darkness, boredom, loneliness, everything. He is there, He knows and loves you, and none shall fall who have Him as their foundation. We are all works in progress, and that means there are changes being made. 

"That which the caterpillar calls the end of the world, the master calls a butterfly." Keep going, keep changing, keep moving forward.

2 comments:

  1. Some wisdom, we all know/learn. On our trek thru life, there are going to be storms. We all have them (different amounts of them, different severities). To think otherwise, is naive. Some we can learn from, some we trudge thru. The 'Light' behind the clouds is always there; Our real friends and family are often nearby, and still sometimes... we trudge thru the muck as if alone.

    The hard ones knock you down, crush you, make you doubt everything. But it is still just a storm. Do not let it make you believe it is your destiny to be in the storm forever. Ecclesiastes 3:1-8 "...a time to mourn, and a time to dance...." At some point, there is a time... to stand up, and move out of the bog or mire you've wallowed in. It is weird to see that you are often your own worst enemy in these situations; as you try to stand you come up with all sorts of reasons to linger in the mud puddle. Maybe it's just me, but when I recognize or notice I'm the problem, I have no problem pushing me aside... and getting out of the storm (and all too often I don't notice for a while!?)

    C, I really liked that quote about the caterpillar & butterfly: short, beautiful... and helpful. And I pray, and hope, that you're out of the storms as quickly as possible.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for your perspective. We live and we learn. Luckily we only have to take one day at a time, and we'll all find a way if we keep looking. :) Then it will be easier to recognize the times to dance and to have joy in the journey.

      Delete