Sunday, March 11, 2012

Go, Do Something Today

All around me I hear of problems; in education, in culture, in media, in politics, in the world. And let's face it, the world is a mess.


So, what do we do about it? I am not a "key player," and given my place in life, my sphere of influence is relatively small. With all these problems, how in the world can they be fixed? What can I do but sit back and watch the world fall to ruin? With the upcoming US Presidential Election, is there a chance that these moral and societal issues be lessened or eradicated with whoever is elected? Unfortunately, no matter how good the next/current president is, they alone cannot solve all the problems.

The other day, I read an email discussing one main problem but interconnected with all these other issues that reading it I began to feel so helpless and hopeless that anything could change and become better. I began to feel small, and then so did the people around me, all the leaders of the world, and the issues just kept growing in my mind such that there was no hope. 


"Oh, that I were an angel" is a phrase the great prophet Alma uses here, in a similar sense to what I am thinking about. He sees all the sins and wickedness in the world, and wants the power to change it all, crying repentance to all, and bringing the world up from sin. 

One thing that I love about prophets, is that they are inspired of God. :) He does not stop here, wallowing in his inability, but he remembers his God and the miracles that have come already. We have a Savior of the World and need not feel hopeless that we cannot fix it, because He can, and He is working through us now to help lift the world. It is wonderful to have the desire to be like Him, helping the world heal--just do not forget that there already is a Redeemer, we cannot do everything, yet we can do enough. We can work together and help ease the hurt of others.

I absolutely love the talk by President Uchtdorf, "Lift Where You Stand" please re-read it. I put the link there on purpose :)

Don't they look so happy? As prophets, seers, and revelators they have the weight of the world on their shoulders, yet they have great reason to rejoice. They know this fundamental principle of serving where they are. Their place is much more noticeable than mine, and yet the lesson is the same.

Lately I have heard stories of prodigies who, from a very young age, knew exactly what they wanted to be when they grew up, and were motivated and able, through natural talent and hard work, to get there. Am I a "prodigy"? With this knowledge, came all the doubt and insecurity about my ability. Can I do something miraculous and valuable? Where am I supposed to be? What am I supposed to be doing? 

I think, going back to my puzzles post, that we are already in place. This place can be metaphorical but it is also literal. We are the prodigies of our lives. When we are doing our part to follow the Lord's plan for us, that He is the guiding force in our decisions {we make them of course but we take counsel from Him}, that we will not fall. And we are definitely in the right place.

I know that I am not be called to save the entire world, but something I have or will do, written or will write, etc., will help anyway. We each have a different piece in the grand puzzle of life, and can each do something good for the world. 

For instance, as I write this, I am sitting in a fort my friends and I made in our living room. It is epic. 


Something I would like to remember is that "service" isn't routine, it isn't something to be checked off, and it isn't always planned {shocker...}. It is an expression of love, and I think we forget that sometimes and guilt ourselves for not being more others-focused. Lift where you stand. Do what you can each day to try a little harder. Some of you may not understand why I included the bit about the fort. The fort lifted my spirit that day and still does. My friends and I had something to look forward to, a way we could have a little more joy in life. Now I want to help bring that joy to others too. This is service. It is not detached from life, but it is bringing joy and hope to each other.

Do what you can each day to lift where you stand. Take a moment to do something for someone else, look around you. Maybe you can brighten someone's day by building a fort instead of just focusing on homework. Maybe you can take out the garbage if it isn't your turn, or smile and forgive instead of sending someone on another guilt trip. You get the idea. Just remember to act on it.

Alone, the world's issues are not going away. Together we can improve the world. Do not give up or give in to the temptation to wallow in what you do not have, or cannot do. Lift where you stand. Come together with the people around you and make a change for the better. Each piece, person, day, and moment is vital. Lifting requires effort. Do what you can to be such a person that can fill the gap where it is needed, you cannot do so if you are not prepared mentally, emotionally, physically, or spiritually. 

Don't rationalize yourself out of helping, we need you to go and do something today.

No comments:

Post a Comment