Tuesday, March 26, 2013

What to do about Politics

I promised I'd try to provide a little more context, so that at least my 'lectures' make more sense about what's going on in my life. And don't worry, this post will probably anger everyone equally.

A big political discussion is in full swing surrounding the Supreme Court cases (marriage, equality, government, etc.) And I have my firm opinions politically. And, if you don't know what I'm talking about, check out Facebook, Twitter, or your favorite news station. Yet, what I want to talk about is that all I ever hear and feel is:



Pride "Listen to me. I'm right. You're an idiot if you don't agree."
Hate "You're an awful, ignorant, sorry excuse for a human being"
Pain "Why don't you understand?"
Division "He said..." "She said..."
Contention "You're both wrong."

Both sides are gravely at fault here, and I'm definitely not the first to point it out. The best answer doesn't lie in politics or from the government. So what are we to do? We all have opinions - these things matter. There are so many factors to sort out, I just feel like the most important things get lost in all the "marketing" as it were, surrounding politics.

"For verily, verily I say unto you, he that hath the spirit of contention is not of me, but is of the devil, who is the father of contention, and he stirreth up the hearts of men to contend with anger, one with another."

"United we stand, divided we fall"

"Love one another, as I [Jesus Christ] have loved you"

"Seek first to understand, and then to be understood"

And just for fun: "I love you, but I don't have to like you right now"

We don't really like to listen anymore to people who disagree with us {did we ever?}. That isn't terribly surprising. I just wish we would - there is a reason people have other opinions. I'm not saying you have to accept their opinion, but I do wish we {myself definitely included} would honestly listen to it and try to understand them first.

Does Abraham Lincoln's phrase mean we have to always have the same opinion politically? Does Christ mean we have to agree with every one and allow every behavior - that there isn't a right or a wrong?

By my admission that there isn't a perfect solution in the government mean I don't think we should keep trying to find one? Not at all. I could keep going - vainly attempting to perfectly explain what I'm thinking.

I just wish, and I know it isn't going to happen, that we'd all take a step back and listen to each other. I want us to remember who we are talking to - and about - on both sides of the political spectrum (or any big difference). I wish we'd all look at ourselves first and find ways we can do what is right, and stop hating others for seeing things differently.

There is a "right" solution, there is truth about this issue, and any other one we are facing. The problem is, we can't see it perfectly, and we definitely won't be able to see it clearly while we're all screaming to be heard, discriminating those who discriminate against us, hating those who hate us. All we're left with is a bigger divide and no solution.

Remember Christ. Remember faith, hope, and charity. And remember to live these things yourself.
Anyway - "that's all I have to say about that."

5 points to anyone who can identify all the quotes I put in here. :)

1 comment:

  1. 3 Ne 11:29
    Abraham Lincoln
    John 13:15, which is also quoted by a Primary song
    Stephen Covey, "Seven Habits..."
    Cristina Roemmich probably grew up saying this one so I guess I only get 4 points for Googling them.

    Besides that, it helps a lot to hear other people. I've been wrong on so many occasions, but it's usually because I haven't heard them properly. It's much easier to make a knee-jerk comment than to actually think through a different point of view, even if you eventually come back to the one you started with.

    Just read a post today about Abraham Lincoln, and how he had all those differing, contentious members of his Cabinet so that he could hear all the different sides of the argument and make his decisions. Sounds like what you're talking about.

    Thanks for posting!

    ReplyDelete