Friday, December 9, 2011

Writing

The difference between the almost right word & the right word is really a large matter--it's the difference between the lightning bug and the lightning.
Mark Twain


Good writers define reality; bad ones merely restate it. A good writer turns fact into truth; a bad writer will, more often than not, accomplish the opposite.
Edward Albee

The art of writing is one of the greatest blessings we enjoy. To cultivate it is our duty, and to use it is our privilege.
The Prophet Joseph Smith

Since I decided I would start writing a blog, more than 75 ideas of topics that I’ve wanted to share have come bursting through my mind, almost like the floodgates have opened. Writing a more “philosophical” and “theological” blog as opposed to verbally explaining it, really fits my personality much better. I am definitely not perfect in writing and sometimes I really don’t make sense or am able to truly capture what I mean or feel based on the limits of language and my skill as a writer. Hopefully I will get better each post and you can learn something from what I say.

Yesterday as all these ideas kept coming I had to keep going to my computer or find scraps of paper to write all my ideas down, because, it is hard to remember everything. I wrote in my journal how I’ve felt about the whole thing, and it just feels right to write down. At the very least, I will have a more centralized location where I can draw upon this to remember things which are important, i.e., for a talk, a conversation, just for something to think about.

Here is a little list of some things I will be writing about in the future:
Puzzles; Lessons from hiking; Being creative; Agency; Morality; Influence v. cause; Respect; Knowledge; Problem of Evil; Media’s influence; Responsibility; A time for rest; Obedience; List of quotes and scriptures; Friendship; You can make a difference; Wicked take the truth to be hard; Pursue or Ensue; Cleanliness and order.

How’s that? Are you intrigued? Me too.

2 comments:

  1. I am loving this. I feel like popping some popcorn and settling in as I go through.

    ReplyDelete