Saturday, January 26, 2013

Guest Post: "Yes I Can!"

Below, you'll find a beautiful post, written to me in an email. It really touched my heart so I asked and received permission to share it with you. I hope it lifts your soul and brings you closer to Christ. - Cristina



I had what you could call an epiphany and was impressed to share it with you, so (with all my imperfections in the written expression of ideas) here goes...

The question that goes with the subject is this: Can I trust God? 

Yes, I can. 

Beginning a month ago, I've been working in tandem with Heavenly Father to help me overcome one of my most insidious of weaknesses: mistrust. Not just of man, but of God. Mistrust gets in the way of my relationships, and it makes me unhappy. That is not Father's plan for me, so I sought to change. 

He helps me change through the Atonement. It's only been a few weeks and I feel my testimony about the strengthening and empowering role of the Atonement is blazing hot with new life. I understand the expression: "I'm so stoked!" And I can apply it to the experience I'm having with my growing testimony. 

We all have different individual weaknesses, but our greatest source of strength is the same---It is the Atonement of Jesus Christ. 

Workout analogy time! --> As I consistently exercise my faith in Christ, I can feel my weaknesses melt away as my spiritual muscles grow stronger. His grace is making me spiritually fit and I can feel "[my] confidence wax strong in the presence of God" (D&C 122:45?).

My Morning Drive
...What prompted me to share with you...I was driving to school today and pondering a conversation I had with my brother. We were talking about how I feel most secure on the road when our dad is at the wheel. The second person I feel most secure driving me is my brother, then worthy Melchizedek Priesthood holders. 

As I thought upon that conversation, I thought: If I can trust these imperfect men at the wheel with my life, how much more should I be able to trust a perfect God at the helm of my life? 

My heart began to glow when I realized that I'm more willing and ready to trust God now (Again, another email altogether). 

Just as I thought this, I drove past a church who had one of those big signs/marquees out front. You know, the ones that they change weekly? Today it read: Can God be trusted? 

I smiled broadly as I answered the question in my heart with a resounding, "Yes!" 

I thought of why I can trust Him. It's because He first trusted me. He gave me the gift of His Son. He sent Jesus Christ to suffer and die for my sins, trusting that I would choose to use the Atonement. He knew that I had a choice; furthermore, He knew that I could choose to turn my back on the Savior, but did that stop Him? Did that stop either one of Them from offering up the most precious blood ever spilt on this green earth? No. They trusted me to make good choices. They trusted me enough to believe that when I made poor choices, I would turn to the Savior. They moved forward with Their plans for me, and "God so loved the world that He gave His only begotten Son". 

The Savior is so good to us, my friend. He is mighty to save and worthy to trust. 

No comments:

Post a Comment