Wednesday, February 13, 2013

How Do I Love Thee?


Let me count the ways.

This is another post I probably won't 'publicize' but I wanted to write it. It was inspired by a conversation or two today. My friend is getting married in a couple weeks! I was hanging out with her today, talking about her wonderful man, and we also hung out with our other friend who has a dating experience I am vicariously living through. So, naturally, the wonderful qualities of the two men came up.


Traditionally, I am not very vocal about this kind of thing. It is the hardest thing for me to talk about – feeling not quite able to capture what it is I look for and value, and that it is more personal and makes me feel more vulnerable. So, eventually I just stopped being aware of what it was that I looked for / found attractive.

So. I am thinking about it today. :) Don’t judge me too harshly. And it isn’t really in order… sorry… I couldn’t decide on what order I would want it to be in so I stopped organizing it.
He loves and cares for me, helping me feel valued and helped me feel noticed and appreciated
He takes care of me and everyone else – service is always on his mind – he truly honors his priesthood AND he accepts service from me and others.
He makes me want to be a better person (cliché maybe but still valid, no?)
He makes me feel safe and hope for a happy future – to live life, not just survive, but to love life - if that makes sense.
He is smart and ambitious
He’s funny
He is musical (doesn’t have to be a prodigy but I do want to share that)
He is willing to dance with me (again, he doesn’t have to be “a dancer” but that he’d dance with me is key)
He cares and is passionate about helping the world become a better place
He truly strives to be the best man, husband, and future father
He respects women – seeing them as God sees them, not lower or above men, and not the object of jokes such as “Why did the woman cross the road? I don't know, but what is she doing out of the kitchen?” That’s not cool.
I could hug him forever, always feeling safe in his arms, loved,
I can just be me with him – that connection is there so I can be me, the quiet version, the silly version, the philosophical version, the tired version, you get the idea. I have some friends where I’m the quiet one, others where I’m the loud one, you know, I just want to be me – all of me, and him to be all of him with me too.
He talks to me about everything – his day, his hopes, dreams, where he sees us, etc.
He makes it clear and obvious he wants to be a part of my life
He directs me back to Christ whenever I have a hard day,
His testimony is pure and strong. He is diligent and faithful in all areas of his life, especially the gospel of Jesus Christ.
I love looking into his eyes
He has my favorite smile – it makes everything feel right in the world

That's quite the list, and it probably doesn't make a lot of sense, and could be more easily summed up by saying something like "I'll just know" but regardless, these things will most likely be in there or I'll be worried about my sanity {and sincerity}. Anyway - like I said, it's hard for me to talk about  things like this, and I am not sure I like having it out on my blog, but sometimes, I just have to write things and this is the best place for it, I think.

No comments:

Post a Comment