Wednesday, September 19, 2012

The Reality of the Rock

"And now, my sons, remember, remember that it is upon the rock of our Redeemer, who is Christ, the Son of God, that ye must build your foundation; that when the devil shall send forth is mighty winds, yea his shafts in the whirlwinds, yea, when all his hail and his mighty storm shall beat upon you, it shall have no power over you to drag you down to the gulf of misery and endless wo, because of the rock upon which ye are built, which is a sure foundation, a foundation whereon if men build, they cannot fall."

This post is a special one to me. See, if you've been reading my blog, you'll know that I've talked a lot lately about trust, faith, moving forward, doing our best, and remembering God through everything.

Through these last few months, I've remembered this scripture, but it wasn't until recently that I received the closest thing to a vision that I've ever received. I know it may come across as trite, but it was a humbling, chastening, lesson for me, and throughout it I was able to come closer to my God and to feel of His love.

So, like I said, through this process I've remembered this scripture, about how the winds, waves, shafts, whirlwinds, mighty storms, gulfs of misery swarming endlessly, are very real. I've also clung to the idea that it would be ok.

I imagined myself holding on for dear life on a cliff like this one, somehow steady on the edge, all the time pleading to not fall in and to be protected, trusting in that scripture.


When suddenly, I realized that I am not on the cliff's edge. Yes, the edge is very real. The storms are very real. It was in this moment that I felt very distinctly that I was safely away from the edge, in the center of the plateau, safe from all dangers, and yet, I was clinging to the ground. There I was, flat against the floor, holding on for dear life, praying not to fall. And I looked ridiculous. 

All I had to do was open my eyes, trust Him, and remember to look up. And then I realized that I was not alone doing this silly thing. I saw others all around me, clinging to the rock and praying not to fall. My Savior helped me look up, and then asked me to follow Him and do the same for others. I can strengthen those around me, and remind them to look up, to trust in God enough to open their eyes and see where they were. 

Some will safely go to the edge, tethered to safety, to pull others up from the cliff's edge. It is my calling to help those already on the rock - who, like me, have forgotten where they are.

If we are built upon God's rock, we cannot fall, not because gravity won't have an effect, but because we are far enough away from the edge. The storms may rage, but we are not in danger. We are able to hear His words and are humble enough to heed His counsel. 

Will you help me in strengthening those around us? Let us remember in whom we trust, and open our eyes, look up, and help those around us. We are bound in loving ties to each other and we can strengthen others too.



No comments:

Post a Comment