Tuesday, April 17, 2012

Look for Lessons Everyday


The road you are on may not go as you plan. It won't go the "usual route" by you are on the right path and though there will be bumps and frustrations, unexpected stops, and confusion, you will go where you need there, you will get there when it is right, and you will succeed. You will find joy along the way, and for eternity. The joy along the way may not be as wonderful, it definitely cannot compare to the eternal joy, but it is joy. Once you get there, all the bumps and traffic cease to matter, for the joy and peace you will find will be so...fulfilling and strengthening, that though you had a hard time, even with finding joy in the journey, you don't remember for the peace that is in your heart.

I can go the distance. I may fear and want to turn around early, but, self, keep going. You really are almost there and there is no sufficient reason to turn back, keep going, even in the dark, even in sometimes unknown or intimidating circumstances. Self, I ask you to keep going.

The above came directly because of this mini adventure:

The other day, I decided to go up to the Timpanogos Temple, I live in Provo and was actually at the Provo Temple when I made this decision, I don't have a car of my own, and I didn't have a lot of time. I had a car I was borrowing, and so when I felt like I needed to go, I went. 


I've been to this temple many times, from many different starting locations. Growing up, the Mount Timpanogos Temple has always been "my" temple, so trips are not unheard of. This time, though starting from the usual spot, I took a completely different route. The road was incredibly bumpy, and people were the stereotypical "Utah Drivers" that frustrated me a little. I just wanted a nice drive, people! :) Surprise, I got to the temple. I thought about this, just sitting in the parking lot, where I wrote the above on the back of a receipt I had in my wallet. I tried to think of how I found joy in the journey because I distinctly remembered a few vicious pot holes that made me fear for the safety of the borrowed car. But, then I remembered a few songs had come on the radio that had made me smile and enjoy the journey, though it was dark, I saw beautiful scenery, etc. There were a lot more moments of joy than of pain. It definitely didn't match the joy and peace that came to my heart from actually getting to the temple, but hey, joy is joy. At the temple, I just felt calm. I had things on my mind, certainly, but, I felt filled and strengthened, which may seem weird, but it doesn't to me. 

I started out knowing I could do it, I felt a little badly for taking someone else's car the unnecessary 30 miles {see, finding cars has miraculously always worked when I needed them, so an unnecessary trip was a big deal}, and I was tired, it was getting late, and I had to go to work early in the morning. I kept thinking I should probably just turn back, since I didn't "have to go to the temple" since I wasn't going in {temple was closed} had just been at the Provo Temple, but the thought kept coming, that it would be nice to go and I had already come so far {so, obviously not a perfect metaphor, in life and time, we can't literally turn around}, nothing seemed sufficient to hold me back, and so, I kept going. It was weird driving at night, since I don't have my own car, I only drive in the morning/afternoon to get to and from work, and this car was new to me so some features and quirks of the car itself were intimidating. Yet, I kept going, and you know of the peace I felt there.

I do apologize that this post seems out of order. I know my lessons are often only the surface level thoughts, unoriginal, and repetitive. I need a lot of repetition, because I forget easily. I need unoriginal thoughts because I haven't mastered them yet, and I figure, it is alright that this is where I am, and it is right that I share it with you. In fact, I felt that I needed to share this, as unorganized and poorly written as it seems. I learned a lot. I needed this driving and life lesson. Maybe you needed it too, maybe you, like me, can look for lessons in the daily journeys we face. You will have to find them in your own life, but I assure you they are there. Look around you, find joy and Christ's hand in the journey. Learn something today, even if it is a simple lesson reminding you of something important.

No comments:

Post a Comment